Starting in May, we will be donating a portion of Mye3Shop orderscontainingSanibel productsto Hear for a Purpose, an organization dedicated to improving children’s hearing healthcare in the Dominican Republic. This is the first action of our new e3 Caresinitiative, where we do our part to help provide better hearing care for those who can’t afford or do not have access to it.
Eligible Sanibel items include:
- ADI eartips
- And much more!
Hear for a Purpose was formed in 2016 by a group of several hearing care professionals who attended Utah State University together; One of which beingQuin Card, Au.D. of e3 MSR West Utah. During their time in college, they were able to participate in many humanitarian missions, sparking a passion for helping the less fortunate. Since its inception, Hear for a Purpose has been able to return to the Dominican Republic each year. In 2018, it was officially established as a non-profit organization.
The organization has 3 long-term goals:
- Goal #1 - Help people in the Dominican Republic get access to reliable hearing technology and improve their quality of life.
- Goal #2 – Provide long term access to hearing healthcare services.
- Goal #3 - Bring about-long-term change through advocacy and working with local agencies to improve early identification and intervention of hearing loss.
See below video for an example of the amazing work Hear for a Purpose does!
In its short lifespan, Hear for a Purpose has made a huge difference in the lives of hundreds of children. In 2018 alone, the team was able to test over 110 patients andfit 101 hearing aids in just 4 days. They also were able to provide over 3,000 hearing aid batteries, dozens of early literacy books, and a large amount of school supplies.
Over the next few years, Hear for a Purpose plans to build off its momentum and continue to provide hearing healthcare to less fortunate children of the Dominican Republic. Here are some goals they are working towards in 2021 and 2022.
2021 Mission Goals:
- Hear for a Purpose will be visiting the schools they've serviced in the past, and repairing/replacing hearing aids as needed, as well as earmolds. They'll also be screening and fitting new students and community members who come based on word of mouth.
- Meet with government officials to discuss support of a newborn screening program at a hospitals outside of the capital city of Santo Domingo.
- Identify an official site for a permanent clinic. Once the site is identified, it will be determined whether we’ll need to build a building or can use an existing structure.
2022 Mission Goals:
- Screen traditional schools for children with mild to moderate hearing loss and fit those in need.
- Build a sound room in the new clinic location and equip it will audiometer, tympanometer, OAE, ABR, and REM system.
- Implement a newborn hearing screening program at a remote hospitals.